Translate

Translate

Monday, August 19, 2013

El Dia Del Nino

We’re another week down in Peru! Last week was one of our busiest weeks since we arrived in Callao, so I’m just now getting a chance to update—here’s a breakdown of what happened.

At the zoo! See what the humidity does to my hair? GREAT.
Monday: Katrina, Graciela, Rosio, Wilfredo and I checked out the zoo in Lima! We showed up a little late, so we only got to roam around for about an hour and a half, but it was a good time. Oddly enough, I think my favorite part was the goats that screamed like people. We also got to see a lot of different types of llamas and alpacas, but Katrina and I want to return another day when the weather is warmer to explore a little more.

Tuesday: We headed out to Marlene’s house to come up with a theme for children’s day. Our final decision was to have a super hero theme, centered around a song called “Jesus es mas Fuerte que Superman." (Jesus is stronger than Superman.)
Wednesday: We went to the Metro store at La Marina to buy some baking supplies. We’ve had a few requests for lasagna, which is the meal Katrina cooked for the Paz family last time she was in Peru with World Service Corps. Afterwards we went shopping with Wilfredo. He recently moved into a new house and we’ve made a number of trips with him to buy some necessities for his new place!

I've done more cooking in Peru than I ever did in the US.
Thursday: After cooking up some lasagna, garlic bread and veggies for the family, we headed into Lima to buy supplies for children’s day. The traffic was killer in the city and Wilfredo was a saint for driving us there. We tucked in and out of little shops in a bustling market area, and eventually bought all of our supplies for Children’s Day. We ended the day by visiting a jugaria, a place that blends and serves up fresh juice for you. I had a blended concoction with honey, banana, milk and another local sweetener I can’t remember the name of—and it was a delicious way to end the day.

 
Friday: In the morning, Katrina, Rosio and I headed out to check out the Callao museum. We traveled their by combi (my favorite…NOT), then took a one hour boat tour to start out the day. It was my first time every seeing the Pacific Ocean, so that was exciting! Afterwards we stopped for a bite to eat, then checked out the museum. Our tour guide kept telling us about ghost sightings that happened there, which freaked me out a little, but kept things interesting. We toured some prison cells called Masomoras, where around 70 people would be cramped into a small space, where they could do nothing more than stand, until they died. From what I could interpret, these cells were used during the war Peru had with Chili. After the museum, heading home was a bit of a cultural experience—we found out what it’s like to travel by bus during rush hour in Callao. After that exhausting experience, Katrina and I headed to Monte Sion, ready to teach a class about sharing your life testimony, but unfortunately nobody showed up. Wilfredo told us that this happens about once every six months.
Saturday: Children’s Day was finally upon us! I was presiding for the event, so I had a more behind the scenes (well, behind the computer) roll in the day. The service wasn’t perfect and I definitely saw some things I could have done MUCH better, but the night ended well. Some highlights were a drama about superheroes that we put on for the kids and the goodies we handed out after the service. We passed out food to all the kids, who brought plastic bags with them, which is custom here. Not a bad idea, huh? Bring a bag to an event, take home some goodies. Anyway, after snacks, we passed out capes and masks so all the kids could be superheroes. All and all, the day ended well, and we got to pig out on animal crackers on the drive home. Always a good day when it ends with cookies.

Sunday: I found out a few hours before church started that I’d be speaking for the offertory and giving the invocation at the service, so my afternoon was a little frantic preparing for church. Eventually everything came out well and it was a fun service. Katrina and I also got up to sing “Santo, Santo, Santo” (“Holy, Holy, Holy”) with the congregation and we led the English version. Neither Katrina nor I would classify ourselves as singers, so standing in front of the congregation singing into the microphone was definitely a new experience. Everything went well though and we headed home for tired, but happy.

Today: We trekked into Lima this morning to buy our bus tickets for Huanaco this weekend. I found out that the bus ride to Huanaco is a whopping 10 hour journey through the mountains and let me tell you something: I will NOT forget my motion sickness medicine for that. On the way home, Wilfredo bought some sugar cane at a stoplight for us. Let me pause here to tell you that Peru would be the HARDEST place to be on a diet at. At stoplights there are constantly people walking around to your car windows selling all kinds of delicious chocolates and sweets—including fresh sugar cane. We had a few pieces with lunch, and now I’m sitting, fat and happy, back at Graciela’s house.
We’ve got another full week ahead of us, but I’m excited to finally see Huanaco this weekend. I’m not too sure what to expect, so I’ll be sure to give you the full report when I come home! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment