Translate

Translate

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Repete, Por Favor

I’m happy to say that I’m back at 100% health and was even able to go on a run with Katrina yesterday. I’m still not able to eat dairy or any uncooked fruit or vegetables until tomorrow, but after that things should be back to normal.

Eating some big lima beans in Lima!
Friday in Monte Sion, after teaching the adult bible study class for two weeks, Katrina and I took a back seat and Wilfredo taught. After a long week of being sick and not having a ton of time to work on my Spanish, it was nice to just be a part of a class. Leading classes is a big part of what we’re here to do, but occasionally it’s nice to just sit and try to translate everything while someone else is in charge.

Saturday we went to Monte Sion again for children’s classes and the weekly service. This week, Katrina and I were in charge of the smaller children’s class. We played Memory (Memoria) in teams to remind the kids about the importance of sharing. I still struggle with my confidence when we’re in charge of a group and naturally try to shift myself to a more behind-the-scenes role. Half the time the kids speak to me I have no idea what they’re saying and the other half of the time I don’t know the right words in Spanish to respond, so class can be a bit of a struggle. All the same, we always manage to get through it. I knew my first few months here would be uncomfortable—trying to get used to teaching church classes, speaking Spanish, and being in front of people again—and I’ve just got to build that confidence back up.

After class, Katrina and I were in charge of the service and Marlene was preaching. This was the first time I’ve ever had this role at church and I was nervous, but Katrina and I were able to work together and she knows the ropes pretty well. All the same, crossing the language barrier can make the most simple task painfully difficult. For example, it took us FOREVER to pick out music for this week—Katrina and I barely know any songs in Spanish. Then when we find a Spanish song that fits the theme, we never know how the congregation is going to respond to it. Right now, the language barrier has a tendency to make everything seem somewhat impossible. I’m working on my mindset to tell myself that everything IS possible, it’s just going to be more complicated than I’d like it to be.

Anyway, we got through the service and Marlene’s preaching was wonderful. I read a few scriptures during the service, but my role was very minor. By the time we got the kid’s class planned, the PowerPoint ready and the all the details sorted out, I had little time left to prepare anything to say about the scriptures. I ended up just reading them, saying a quick sentence in broken Spanish, then quickly passing off the microphone. The next time I’m reading scriptures, I want to be better prepared for sure. I think a big part of it is just getting used to speaking in front of people again. I’ve been in front of people for many presentations before, and for an entire semester during student teaching, but something about doing everything in another language has brought some of my stage fright back. But the past is the past and now I'm looking on to what’s coming next. I know that I’ll be preaching again before the end of the month and I’m hoping to get an early start on it this time around so I don’t have to read my sermon from a paper.

After the stress of yesterday, we made an unexpected trip to a friend’s house for a birthday celebration, which was a great way to the end the night. We had a hearty dinner and a big serving of cake and it was nice to go to bed feeling “fat and happy.”

Tonight we’ll be going to Filidelfia for their church service and I’m happy to be able to sit and enjoy another part of church this week. My goal is to understand a little more each time I hear a sermon in Spanish (which, by the way, is a great way to make sure you pay attention in church.) Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment